Thursday, June 05, 2008

Haze Has Been Won


At 3:20 today I beat Haze. Haze is a Playstation 3 exclusive that hasn't really had any good reviews, and after playing it I can't really see why it would get a 6/10. I'll admit that it's no 10 or even a 9 but its definitely not a 6. For the first 25% of the game you play as a soldier for the Mantel corporation. Mantel is a company that is into the cutting edge, they have the very best everything, the best guns, best vehicles, and best soldiers! You'll agree once you play it. For the other 75% of the game you are in a anti-Mantel group called The Promise Hand whom thinks Mantel is up to no good and wants to stop them. I'm not going to talk much about the story since its easy to spoil and I don't want to ruin it for you, but I will say its very interesting and I think it symbolizes the war in Iraq, like I said I won't ruin it for you but theres a tidbit for ya. Now lets get to the game. Starting with controls it has your pretty basic shooting controls like R1 to shoot, L1 to throw grenade, X to jump, O to change weapons, square is your action button, and triangle reloads, R2 hits and L2 depends if your a Mantel soldier (Use Nector) and if your a Promise Soldier its to play dead. The actual game is very slow paced think Rainbow Six and is some what a tactical game, there is no run button or cover button. The game is also very smooth running at a solid 30fps and is presented in 720p only, the game has minimal jaggies and very little pop in. This is achieved with a 5GB mandatory install which sucks! but is worth it. The sound is very well done presented in Dolby DTS which is a less compressed version of Dolby Digital and sounds great. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet but it supports voice chat and the 4 player co-op is really smooth think Burnout Paradise. The game does have its flaws. I think this game takes the cake for the DUMBEST A.I. teammates EVER. They will either just shoot the guy 3 or 4 times not killing him or just run past him completely, sometimes they even run with the enemy. The game also has very bad gun damage it takes 10 shots sometimes it takes 30 shots just to kill one guy, granted I was playing in hard. Also the vehicles handle like balls basically if you hold left your car will immediately turn completely sideways no matter how fast your going also they make noise that makes them seem like there going a lot faster but it looks like your going 15mph. Also I have never been killed by a vehicle so much, sometimes the vehicle wasn't even moving, sometimes the enemy will be coming at you try to ram you and miss but yet you still die. Check the more detailed list in the post below. Haze is a good game but could of been much better. It shows they rushed it and if they make a second one it will be much better. Really the thing that threw me over the edge in not giving this game a 9 is the teammates say the same damn thing over and over again similar to this song.




As you can see this guy got sick of it and shot him self in the eye, good move buddy. Haze is a great game and is a refreshing experience. I say wait till its $40 and then it will be a must have but if your looking for a game to fill the void between now and the 12th its not to bad of an idea to pick this one up since its only around the 8 hour mark.
8.0

1 comment:

Whispering Mute said...

Hmmm, I'd probably wait til it goes down in price also. Reminds me a lot like Killzone. All the hype made the gamer's expectations really high and basically caused it's own demise. Check out this link. http://www.gametab.com/news/2618855/ I was actually at that convention in Chicago and saw that wicked costume. Would've been even cooler if I was somehow in that vid. But I was there.