Thursday, January 15, 2009

Oh My its a Goulash!



This post isn't about food. Its about all of the stuff I haven't posted about rolled into one post. So the big thing a wrote a post about but I never posted was my game of the year award. I felt I didn't really play enough of the games released to say which was the best, but the more I thought about it I decided Metal Gear Solid 4 is my Game of the Year. Since this game is pretty much my favorite of all time I don't think any other game could top it this year or in a really good while so I felt I could make a definate decision on that. I also figure that is was a year for games that start off slow. Resistance 2, Fallout 3, and Fable are a few games that are very good that start off pretty slow but pick up as you go along (I knew of other games but I had a brain fart :-/ and I cant remember) I would say if MGS4 didn't come out this year Mirrors Edge would of got my Game of the Year. I think there were a few flops through the year mainly toward the end of the year like: PlayStation Home, it is not a flop for Sony since they made over a million dollars in it but if it wasn't for me being in the beta I would of been probably a little more unsatisfied. Next is Little Big Planet, it has a lot of potential but its plagued by long loading times and I find it hard to make some things that should be easy to make. Maybe I need to spend more time with it. The next two are Microsoft related and I guess you can't really consider one of them a flop but it pretty much was, I would say the NXE and Gears of War 2 were flops. The NXE adds much eye candy but it is even harder to find things and there are sub menus galore plus its not even up to the XMB yet which still stands as UI king! Gears of War by sales can't be considered a flop by any means but the number of people playing it and the lack of Game of the Year awards is probably not how Epic wanted it to be. It shows Microsoft pressured them to get it out to compete with the PS3 onslought that would of occured if it wasn't there. I believe I bought 29(?) games this year 2 on the 360, 23 on the PS3, 1 on the Wii, 1 on the DS, and 2 on the PSP.  I think all of the games I bought on the PS3 were released in 2008, 1 360 game in 2008, and 1 PSP and 1 DS in 2008. I hope to get more 360 games and a few PSP game and hopefully I can add the PC to this list by next year. A few things I look forward to in 2009 are Windows 7 (love the beta), maybe a new PSP, the slew of games, and I really hope the 1UP guys and the many developers that got fired/layed off find new and better jobs here soon!

No comments: